Sunday 20 August 2017

Astonishing splashes of colour book review

Hey guys! I hope you are doing well! This post is going up a little later than I would have liked, every time I thought I had a free day to write, something came up! Today I am doing a book review of Astonishing Splashes of Colour by Clare Morrall. My friend actually lent me this book because she thought I would enjoy it, and I had never heard of the author or the book before. Furthermore, the book does not have a blurb (or at least the copy I had didn't) and so I was going into the book blind. I am also going to say there is a trigger warning about loss of children.



The book is about a woman Kitty, who is finding it very difficult with both the loss of her mother when she was a baby, and the loss of her own baby. Along with the knowledge she is incapable to have another child. Kitty feels she has no future and no past. This book particularly holds a theme of lost children which seems to run througout the book. I wasn't sure how I would take to this book, it's not a particularly happy book as you can probably guess and I was slightly worried for Kitty and what her need of a baby would lead her to do next.

I actually really enjoyed this book, it had a good plot and some major plot twists that I did not see coming at all that made it hard for me to put the book down! It is really interesting too. Kitty's husband James, clearly finds it very difficult to talk about their lost baby too. The two of them never communicate about it and when Kitty's councillor suggests James comes along to their meetings too, he declines, clearly not wanting to talk about the situation. For me the book really highlights the importance of talking about issues like this in a marriage. I think Kitty felt alone and isolated, and needed to talk about what had happened between them. For me, this was a major unstated message from the book. I think a lot of the situations Kitty gets into could have been avoided if the two had discussed where to go from losing a baby.

One thing I did not particularly like was the ending of the book, there is a death at the end (don't worry I won't tell you who!) which I felt was not needed at all and seemed a bit random and rushed. But apart from that I enjoyed this book and finished it in three sittings. I think I would read more from this author I really enjoyed the writing style and the book really came alive for me. It is definitely an unforgettable book that has really stayed with me and I often find myself reflecting on it!

Have you ever read this book? Let me know what you thought!
Lots of love,
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment